Sunday, November 9, 2008

Storing Leftover Chopped Vegetables

For years, I would buy an onion or green pepper, use a fraction of it, and either throw the rest away or let it rot in the crisper drawer. About a year ago, I had a brainstorm.

Now, I always chop the entire vegetable. (This is very easy to do now that I have the Vidalia Chop Wizard.) I use what I need for my recipe and freeze the rest in a sandwich bag. I have all kinds of chopped vegetables in my deep freeze, and this saves me a lot of time when I'm throwing together a weeknight recipe.

It is not necessary to thaw the veggies before using. It's a good idea to double bag onions so that they don't stink up the freezer.

Tip: To break up the solid mass of chopped veggies so you can measure what you need, throw the bag forcefully against the counter top several times. (This is kind of fun!)

No comments: