Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Make Your Own Foaming Hand Soap

I love the foaming scented hand soaps at Bath and Body Works, but they only come in antibacterial soap, which I prefer not to use. When I was searching online for non-antibacterial foaming soap, I ran across instructions for making my own. It works every bit as well as the kind I used to buy, and it costs about a fifth as much.

1 part liquid soap
4 parts very hot water
(For example, 2 ounces soap to 8 ounces water)

  1. Pour the soap into a shaker container with a lid.
  2. Measure the water in a separate container.
  3. Tilt the shaker container as you add the water so that it hits the side, not the soap in the bottom. (This reduces the bubbles.)
  4. Shake well to combine, then pour into an empty foaming soap dispenser.
You can use any type of liquid soap, even shower gels. I like to use the Bath and Body Works aromatherapy soap. I've never liked using that soap full strength because the strong scent irritates my nose, but the diluted foam soap smells wonderful and is also easier to rinse.

Be precise with the measurements. If the soap is too thick or too watery, it either will not flow well or will not make a thick foam.

Tip: Use a plastic shaker bottle with a tight lid, preferably one with ounce markings. Mark it plainly and use the same shaker every time; the soap smell lingers.

No comments: